Login to Complete an Application or to Access Judging Panel
AACR-Minority Scholar Awards in Cancer Research
The American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) is extremely pleased to announce the availability of scholar awards in cancer research for full-time eligible minority scientists wishing to participate in AACR Annual Meetings and Special Conferences.
The purposes of this award program are to increase the scientific knowledge base of minority scientists and to encourage them to pursue careers in cancer research.
- Candidates must be full-time graduate students, medical students, residents, or clinical or postdoctoral fellows.
- Only minority groups that have been defined by the National Cancer Institute as being traditionally underrepresented in cancer and biomedical research are eligible for this award: African American/Black, Hispanic/Latino, Alaskan Native, Native American and Native Pacific Islander.
- Candidates must be citizens or permanent residents of the United States or Canada.
- Candidates must be the presenters of meritorious abstracts at the AACR Annual Meeting or special conference.
Required Application Materials
- Complete online application.
- Personal statement written by the candidate (no longer than two pages in length) describing the benefit he/she expects to derive from attending the conference and the reasons for the candidate’s interest in the conference.
- Two letters of recommendation are required.
- The first recommendation must be from one mentor in a faculty capacity (i.e. department head, advisor, etc.) at their institution who could certify the information in the application upon request.
- The second recommendation can be from a faculty member from the applicant’s institution or an institution that the applicant has attended. The letter should be addressed to the AACR-Minority Scholar in Cancer Research Awards Committee and should comment on the applicant’s academic and personal qualifications for this award. The letter of recommendation should always be on letterhead with visible signatures.
- A copy of the abstract submitted for presentation at the meeting. Candidates must provide the abstract control number.
- Curriculum vitae, including a complete bibliography (list of publications).
For those attending 15th AACR Conference on The Science of Cancer Health Disparities in Racial/Ethnic Minorities and the Medically Underserved taking place September 16-19, 2022 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- Abstract Submission: Tuesday, June 7, 2022
- AACR-Minority Scholar Award Application: Thursday, June 30, 2022